Friday, November 21, 2008

Here I Am

Here I am at Burst and Bloom Gallery. I guess I never really told the story of how I end up here.

I was looking in the weekly FFWD newspaper and I did something I rarely do: I read the classified. I suppose that I've been musing about a 'career' change recently but that has to do with my day job. Anywise, doing something I normally do not I came across an ad for Burst & Bloom @ Art Central. They were looking for another director for the gallery. I decided to inquire about it and what that meant was another partner for the gallery, which meant an opportunity to display my art. I was aware of the gallery previously with Tamar, whom I went to school with, who was displaying there. I decided to jump in: it was a great opportunity to have some work displayed (which I had not done in nearly a year) in the downtown core. Yes there is some financial risk (as a Taurean will remind me) - but opportunity as well. Meetings with the other artists have yielded the the desire to seek a larger gallery space in the future and branch out to en devours outside the normal gallery setting - be more than just a place that sells images and reach out to the community and make connections with artists & galleries outside of Calgary.

My first painting goes up on a wall in December ... now it's deciding what to put up! (I foolishly tried to create something new for the occasion, in other words tried to force/rush a work. Not the best idea ... I just hope I can recover for a future exhibition.)

No comments: