Monday, February 09, 2009

Cam-stract Art


My first(?) intentional abstract (on canvas.) Most of my work starts fairly abstract, then I attempt to arrest control and impose a concept on a work. I've decided to let it go for now and not imprint a personal archetype (i.e. dinosaur) onto the work. It doesn't mean that I'm going to stop that altogether - both means have a value - but it's a good exercise to let things be sometimes. Or perhaps a divergence is emerging in my work as I've been experimenting with dinos on wood lately. Either way I'm learning about how I work. The abstract was done in the evening & I'm not one for working in the evening, I'm much more of a morning person. When I was in university I was never one of those students who burned the midnight oil in the studios at night, I preferred to get in early in the morning before classes to start working.

At the time I was working on the abstract I figured that I'm better for works that require more concentration (accuracy in drawing, composition) in the morning. The abstract doesn't require concentration in the same way, in fact it's more of an exercise in observation: seeing how the paint moves and mixes and making slight adjustments. So it's an exercise that I can do at night, an exciting development because it expands the scope of hours I can operate artistically.

No comments: